Skip to the content
- Why take Kite Lessons?
- A good coach will save you from possible injury and probable embarrassement.Besides saving face and your butt,here are five other reasons to take lessons=
- Demolish the learning Curve>Sure you’re a wakeboarder/ballerina,but that doesn`t mean you can fly a kite.Agood intructor will hel you use what you`ve learnedfrom other sports,drastically reducing the learning curve
- Lessons save time and money
- Guidance.Instructors know about all the latest gear and will share tips that would have taken you months to discover.plus,most have been on the scene since day one,so they can also introduce you to all the local kiters.
- A good instructor will know the perfect kite and board for your weight,size style,saving you hours of frustation.And they might even be able to cut you a deal on jour first purchasse.
- It`s Fun Lessons get you outside in the water for a great ,actice day without the worrying about not knowing what to do,plus you get to become part of a culture that`s a lot of fun to be around
- How much time do I need to stand on the board?
Everyone learns at different rhythm according to physical abilities and sport skill level. On 1st course you need to learn how to pilot, safety procedures, piloting with power, manage your body in the water. This takes approximately 8 to 12 hours to make sure that you will become an independent kiteboarder.
- What do I have to bring with me?
Sun glasses, sun cream, board short, and cap are optional, and a short jonh between May to October is also welcome too.
- Is there any danger to practice it?
Kitesurfing is a radical sport, therefore there is danger. Taking the course with a recognized kite school and knowing how to respect your limits, is a safe way to practice it.
- Why do I need to make the basic course?
The main objective is to allow students to practice the sport without an instructor’s help, with all the safety knowledge.
- Which languages are going to be used in the classes?
Portuguese, English, French, Spanish.
- How many students are per class?
The best group size for kitesurfing lessons is two (2) students per instructor.
- At what time do the kite lessons start?
The kite lessons start when the wind is starting to blow. In most of the kite spots in the world, wind start to blow at around noon.
- If there is no wind, will I lose the day?
Find for a school that can propose other activities if the wind is not enough for kitesurfing.
- Which is the best Kite Spot for learning?
This is an hard question to answer because the best kite spot depends on the place where you are. Anyway, the best kite spot for learning should have flat and shallow water and possibily steady winds. In Europe, a spot that have all those characteristic is Punta Trettu, in the South West of Sardinia, Italy. Punta Trettu has became really famous among kitersa and you can find several information on internet.
- What’s the best season for winds?
Like the previous question, that depends on the place you are, you are going. In Europe, the best period for Kitesurfin go from March to November.
- What is the minimum wind for kitesurfing?
Wind for kitesurf depends on your weight and on the kite size you have. If you are beginner, please refer to a kite schol that hae many kite size in order you can start also with really light wind. If you are beginner from zero and you need stat piloting your kite, 5 knots of wind can be enough. If you have already got a good level and you like to ride, if your weight is between 70 and 85 kilos and you will use a big board and big kite, 10 knots can be enough.
- How can I book a course?
You only need to send an e-mail with the student’s name, dates and kinds of courses and a telephone to contact.
We will confirm via e-mail or telephone in 24 hours.
- Is kitesurfing easy to learn?
Yes, it’s quite easy to learn and practice. It’s easier than surfing and windsurfing, because your balance is partly assisted by the kite which keeps you standing upright.
- For kitesurfing do I need to practice other sports?
No, but some knowledge of windsurfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding, skating or paragliding can help you to learn quicker. But anybody who is in a good shape can make it with good advice in a proper school.
- Is it possible to go upwind?
Yes, you can tack the wind with your kitesurfing equipment easily.
- What are the different kinds of kites?
Inflatable kites: they are the most used. Those single skin kites represent a vast majority of the kites used on water. They have been specifically developed for water use.
Foil kites: those wings are built like paraglider’s. They have cells intrados and extrados parts. The profile is obtained thanks to a bridling system.
Hibridos: it’s a combination of inflatable and foil kites.
- Do I need a car?
No, Araruama city is very calm. It has restaurants which satisfy every taste, ciber café, small shoppings and etc. You can easily go from the club to downtown by microbuses and “van” which come and go during all the day in the city. Of course, if you have a car there is no waste of time and more facility.
- How much does the kite equipment cost?
It’s hard to answer this question because it depends on a lot of factors such as your level, skill etc.
But here are some prices just for you to have an idea:
Complete equipment (kite, bar, lines, pump, board):
new one: around U$1300.
used one (in perfect condition): U$800.
- What are the different kinds of boards?
Directionals or Mono directionals: they look like surf boards. It’s necessary to make a trick called “JYBE” to change direction.
Bi directional or twin type – they look like wakeboards. You don’t need to make a “JYBE” to change the direction. They don’t have front or back.
Mutant – it’s a combination of mono and bi directional.
Wakeboard – it’s a board which has little flotation and it needs a lot of power to practice. It’s generally used with binders or a foot-strap.
- What’s the difference between 2 and 4 lines?
In 4 lines you have one more tool to get more or less power. The back lines are attached to the bar, and front lines pass through the bar. So, when you put the bar down, you get more power (accelerate) and up, less power (break).
It’s easier to get up wind and you also win control , so it’s safer.
- What’s the difference between Moderate and High Aspect Ratio?
Moderate Aspect Ratio. It means that the kite doesn’t have much length and it has a lot of width. It seems like a circle. It’s slower safer and is easier to relaunch.
High Aspect Ration. It means that the kite has much length and little width. It looks like a knife. The kite is faster, it is powerful to get up the wind but harder to relaunch.
- What’s the difference between the Real and the Projected Area?
The real area is the total surface of the open kite on the floor and not inflatable.
The projected area is the surface of the kite projected to the wind. The projected area is more or less 30% smaller then the real area.
- How can I pay for the course?
Cash (reais and U.S.A. dollars) and checks.
- How can I get to the club from Rio by a car?
drive by the bridge Rio Niteroi
on the pike bridge turn to the left following the direction Region -Dos Lagos- Manilha- Rio Bonito
take the road Rio Manilha Rio Bonito with BR101
follow the road Via Lagos from Rio Bonito to Cabo-Frio
after -Go to the Road Estrada-of Figueira-Monte Alto-Number 3-Pousada Ninho das Gaivoitas-Center of KiteSurfing-JerryKite
- How can I get to the club from Rio by a bus?
If you are in the airport or in Rio, take a taxi or a bus to Rio bus station “Rodoviaria”.
There are 2 companies who travel from Rio to Cabo-Frio or Arraial de cabo each 30 minutes, Macaense and 1001.
Just buy your ticket ( $ 5 ) , you will spend +- 1 hour and 30minutes to arrive in Cabo-Frio or Arrarial de cabo
When you arrive-The Bus Station Cabo-Frio, just call the club, and we will send you a car to pick up you from the Monte Alto-Estrada of Figueira Number 3- bus station and take you to the club.JerryKiteSurf-
- How can I get to the club from buzios by car ?
Take the main raod to Rio.
When you arrive in\ Cabo-Frio -You go to the Road /Arraial of cabo-In front of of the Police Road -you see one the left Road-Monte-Alto-/Figueira-Stop the City-Monte-Alto-You have the Club-Pousada Ninho das Gaivotas-JerryKitesurf-
- How can I get to the club from buzios by bus ?
Take a taxi or a bus to Buzios bus station.
Buy a ticket to Cabo frio ( 30 minutes ).Or Ararrial de Cabo
In Cabo Frio you will have to take another bus For -Figueira/ Monte-Alto-Pousada-Ninho das Gaivotas-Center JerryKiteSurf-
Buy a ticket to-Monte-Alto/Figueira( 30 minutes ).
- What’s the meaning of up wind, down wind and cross wind?
If you stay back to the wind and open your arms in the wind perpendicular
all the directions in your front, you will go down wind (to the advantage of the wind);
all the directions in your back, you will go up wind;
on your arms direction, on the left and right, you will go cross wind.
- Why is it good to rent equipement after the basic course?
Kitesurfing is like any other sports, you need, after learning, to practice a lot.Generally , after basic course, it is too early to give you more informations, but it is the right time for you to practice, to get more fealings about the kite.Then you will be ready for intermediate course.For a good and safe teatching, you have to learn step by step, without trying to go too quick.
- How do I get to the Kite School?
The school is located at the Araruama Lagoon -Monte-Alto- Brazil.
Road-Of Figueira Number-3-Pousada Ninho das Gaivotas-Center of KiteSurfing-JerryKiteSurf
Between the cities of Cabo Frio – RJ and Arraial do Cabo